Little is known about this group that will be redeemed from among men in the last days (cf. Revelation 14:14), but God will clearly set them apart and protect them during the time of His wrath. They’ll be in Jerusalem with Christ at the onset of His kingdom.
The following are key points regarding the 144,000:
- Sealed for protection against God’s impending wrath (cf. Revelation 7:3-8 & 9:4).
- Seen with Christ on Mount Zion during the time of God’s wrath, but before the seventh trumpet when Christ will gain His kingdom and enter Jerusalem. They “follow Him wherever He goes” (cf. Revelation 14:1).
- There’ll be a new song in heaven that no man can learn but the 144,000 redeemed from the earth (cf. Revelation 14:2-3).
- Redeemed from among men, being the first-fruits unto God and to the Lamb (cf. Revelation 14:4).
- They’ll be virgins and without fault (cf. Revelation 14:4-5). I remind those who ask “How will this be possible?” that this group will have been redeemed from the earth and will be first fruits unto the Christ, implying resurrection for the purpose of serving with Him in His kingdom (see the references above).
What we know
- The group will be 144,000 first-fruits unto Christ redeemed from the earth.
- They’ll be protected against God’s wrath (e.g. the sixth trumpet judgment in Revelation 9:4). They’ll also be seen with Christ during the time of God’s wrath and will be with Him as He gains His kingdom at the seventh trumpet.
What we don’t know:
- Where the ten lost tribes of the kingdom of Israel are today (although there’s much speculation on the subject). However, God has promised Israel to bring a remnant from the tribes back together at the end and protect them.
- Specifically, why Christ will select them—unless their purpose is to reign with Him.
- The 144,000 will be Jews for Jesus evangelizing the world.
- The 144,000 won’t be Jews but special evangelizing Christians.
- The 144,000 are symbolic and represent particular Christian denominations.